Thursday, December 8, 2011

What happens if my renters insurance end date has passed? Does it auto-renew or can I now switch providers?

I have State Farm renters insurance - my policy end date was 8/19/2010. Does anyone know if they auto-renew and charge me a prorated amount, or has my coverage ended? I'd like to switch insurance companies and wondering if I'm not free to go elsewhere without the need to notify State Farm.|||They sent you a bill, probably in mid July. If you paid it, it renews. If you don't pay it, it lapses and you have no coverage. It does NOT "auto renew" unless you have the payments directly debited from your bank account.





You will have to call your agent to ask if your policy is active or not, if you don't know whether or not you paid the renewal premium.|||State Farm will automatically renew your policy and send you a billing notice. They will also send you a notice advising you your policy will lapse by a certain date if you fail to make a timely payment. I would contact your other insurance company without delay, establish a policy with the new company and inform the new company to notify State Farm of the effective date of the new policy. If later than the anniversary date on the old policy, State Farm may bill you for the time they extended coverage to you up to the issue date of the new company's policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment