Thursday, December 8, 2011

What do you think about a wedding after already being married?

Me and my husband have been married for going on two years this July. We didn't have a wedding, we just went ahead and got married because we didn't want to wait. I always wish we would have had a wedding, because I would love to have pictures, etc. Would it be senseless to have a wedding in the near future? Or is there a certain amount of time we should just wait and then do something like have a ceremony to renew our vowels or something??|||It would be a vow renewal and not an official wedding as you are already married, have it the way you want!





My aunt and uncle had a HUGE vow renewal at their 25th, with all the bells and whistles of a first wedding, it was beautiful!|||Well you have had your wedding - that took place when you got married, wherever and whatever it was done.


A vow renewal is not 'another wedding' - it's basically a ceremony to reaffirm vows, then you would host family and close friends to a dinner and/or anniversary party. You don't wear a wedding gown, just a beautiful dress - and have a nice celebration.


However, the timing. Usually it was done on the 25th anniversary, but with marriages sometimes not lasting long - some people have it done on their 10th anniversary.|||I really disagree with Annick. I don't think there's anything wrong with renewing your vows or having an actual wedding. But I'm rather untraditional and really, I always just want what makes the couple happy. I don't think the renewal of vows at all detracts from the promise and commitment you made two years ago ... the difference this time is that you would involve your family and friends. Chances are, both sets of parents would be really happy just because their kids' weddings are milestone's for them, too, and I'm sure they were slightly disappointed in not being able to share your day with you last time.





If you feel like you missed out on something, I say go for it. If you wait more than five years to do it, I would call it a vow renewal ceremony. If you do it fairly soon, I would simply say that you're having another ceremony and reception to include your friends and family. Depending on what you did the first time around, I just wouldn't expect gifts or guests to travel long distances. It would probably be just close friends and family, which really, is perfect anyway.





I've known a few people who've eloped in Vegas, and then came home to have a more traditional ceremony and reception. So just know that it's not that uncommon. It's not like you're having a second wedding all together.|||I say go for it and do a vow renewal. Some people see renewal of vows as actually meaning more than the original time you took your vows because this time you really know what it's like to be married and have a life together and what you are getting into and still want to make that vow to the other person, versus the first time although you are in love and maybe know eachother really well you don't really have a clue what it will really be like to be married to them. It would be nice to wait for the 5 years to do it but if you want to do it sooner then do it sooner!|||A couple of weeks ago I went to a wedding where the B%26amp;G had been legally married a year ago. They did this because it gave them better opportunities for getting a house, and taxes etc. Their families wanted the big bash though, so they did it this year. I think it's fine, and I don't see why you shouldn't do it. If you'd already had the big one 2 years ago, I'd wonder about it.|||I really was totally opposed to this until I found myself in a situation contemplating going to a JOP then continuing on with our church wedding/reception as planned.





My opinion is that it depends upon the circumstances and what if any celebrating/announcing was done the first time. If you basically did nothing - no parties, no dinner(even with just immediate family), etc. - then I'm OK with renewing your VOWS (vowels are letters - A E I O U and sometimes Y), putting on the dress, and having a reception. I honestly feel that if it is general knowledge that you are already married, write tactfully spread the word that "no gifts" is the order of the day. Don't have a shower or bachelor/ette parties. Have your day, and get the photos/memories you want.





The alternative is to keep your civil ceremony quiet or low-key. Basically, few - if any - people even know about it. OR if you do a JOP due to military deployment. THEN I think its OK to go forward with a full wedding as you would have liked it.|||NOPE! Have a renewal of vows with just family and close friends. Were having a renewal of vows for our 10th wedding anniversary, because one our wedding day was a complete disaster, and two, I NEVER got a honeymoon. I had to spend my honeymoon with my in-laws. Carting them around and trying to show them a good time. I can't wait to have my renewal of vows. It's going to be a very quiet, unique, fun, romantic time. Yeah I will be spending about 4 times as much as I did for this event (then I did for our wedding), but I can guarantee you one thing. It will be memorable for my husband and me. Good luck. :)|||You have already had your wedding. But you can renew your vows at any time. However, doing it on an anniversary is most common. Most people don't do it till at least the 10th, however.





And please don't wear the traditional long white dress! Just wear a nice one and have a simple party to celebrate with your friends and family.|||First things first, don't want to ruin your nicely asked question but you are renewing vows not buying vowels on the wheel of fortune. Am I the only one who noticed that? Anyway have whatever makes you happy, if you want to have a wedding have one. This is about fulfilling childhood dreams. It would be unfair to yourself if you don't.|||my husband is military and we married at the courthouse, minus the wedding and all. We would like to wait til our 5th anniversary to renew our vows...by then, we will have saved enough money to make it as special as we have always wanted. Good luck with your decision.|||My daughter did it. She and her husband got married in a park in May of last year, and then had a church wedding 3 1/2 months later in August. I don't see anything wrong with it, although I complained quite a bit about it...LOL.|||yea, it is fine. a couple of my friends married in court.. and they are planning and saving up for a big wedding in the future.. sure, have fun with that..... =]|||Hey, we're doing it! Why on earth do we have to settle for less than the joining that we dream of? I'd do it every year if I could!|||Very romantic. It may reassure you that you're in love.|||Lots of people do this.





It's your marriage, shared by you 2, so do it they way of your heart's desire.|||Do it whenever. 5 years might be cool though|||Your in love....... Why not? Make it simple. What makes you happy ...|||If you both want to do it then do it. Live with no regrets!|||I think it's a little silly, but harmless. I mean, the whole "wedding" thing is really blown out of porportion in our culture. You guys decided to commit to one another, to spend your lives together. That's the important thing, isn't it? Is rocking the whole Disney princess look really worth thousands and thousands of dollars?





If you meant your vows the first time, is it really necessary to say them again? Maybe this is just my Catholic childhood speaking, but I'm pretty sure that a vow is a vow is a vow and that there's no reason at all to re-promise what's been promised if you meant it the first time.





Obviously, this is my opinion, and what you do is your business. But if I were you, I'd buy a great dress I could wear again for a couple of hundred dollars and have your nearest and dearest over for a big ol' BBQ. Take pictures to your heart's content and enjoy a day remembering why you love each other and why you love your families rather than worrying about a thousand silly details.





Or, if you have the money just hanging around in your bank accounts, why not take an old fashioned "wedding tour?" Call up those friends relatives you love and never see and ask if you can come for a visit? Make reservations at a romantic inn or b %26amp; b. Then, when you get to town call up your loved ones and take them out to dinner and take all the pictures you like. It seems a lot better way to make memories with people you care about than putting your eggs all in the basket of a single day.





Just some suggestions. But best of luck with whatever you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment