Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is the independent Gas Fitter (self employed) losing business to boiler care plans?

Every time I switch the TV on there's a ad for a care plan from British Gas, The AA and others. In fact when I tried to renew my household insurance I was offered a boiler care plan for 拢70 inc annual service. Independents surely can't compete with this small amount. As a newly qualified gas fitter I'm sure this is killing of the self employed gas engineers. Not sure if I should attempt to set up as self employed ?|||I will not pay the AA 拢109 a year for my boiler just in case it develops a fault. I would rather pay YOU a one off fee if it goes wrong. Most people feel the same.|||It is a difficult time as it is right now regardless of whether the large companies are taking away work with the service plans. Some of these firms mind you will be sub contracting out the work to reliable third parties with the exception of British Gas. Unless you already have a client base to feed off I would suggest going on the cards with a firm, have your own registration and develop customers by carrying out jobs outside of your employers working hours this way you can develop a customer base while still gaining a regular wage.|||We employ two or three Gas Safe engineers on a fairly regular basis (letting agency) but never use anyone that isn't gas safe. Most of our landlords are happy this way - they aren't keen on things like BG contracts at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment