Monday, December 12, 2011

Is it a relatively easy task to get someone to sign a sublease for an apartment for 3-6 months?

I can't decide whether I want to live at a place for 6 months or 9 months, and the rent will be $50 less if I sign a 12 month lease. If I decide to live there only for 9 months, I am hoping to advertise the apartment for a sublease. But I'm not sure how someone benefits from living at an apartment for 3 months, other than having a guarantee that they can renew the lease for the fall (the lease would end in the summer if it's a 9 month lease).





So if I sign a 12 month lease, I would need to know that I can sublease it to someone else without too much difficulty- for 6 or 9 months. I'd like to find out whether subleasing is common, whether it's difficult, whether it's safe, and what's a reasonable amount of time for which someone would agree to finish the lease.


I truly appreciate the help.|||Assuming that your lease doesn't forbid you from subleasing, it is a relatively easy thing to do, as long as you can find a person who will sublease the apartment from you.





Basically, all you need to do is to get them to fill out a sublease agreement outlining the terms of the contract.





However, a lot of places don't allow you to sublet, so you will have to check your lease agreement first, or speak to your landlord to try and get permission to sublet.|||I contacted someone that wanted to sub-lease thier apartment because my sister was looking for a short term lease. I found thier ad on craigslist.com but they said we were the only people that had called them. So it doesn't seem real easy.. but, i'm not real sure where all they had advertised it. I'd suggest that you try to do a sub-lease from some that is currently trying to move so that you can both benefit.|||chk with your landlord and read your contract...sublease may not be allowed.





however - also remember that if you do sub-lease, you are still ultimately responsible for the rent, any damages, etc


because you have the primary lease with the landlord.





good luck|||Remember that if you sub-let your apartment you will be responsible for any damage the tenant does to the unit.


You should obtain a BIG security deposit from that person to protect yourself in case that person or guests of that person destroy the property.


Also, your lease must allow for sub-letting. Most do not as landlords know the many problems associated with sub-letting. Aslo, what if that person does not pay the rent?


Are you responsible/|||most leases provide that the landlord has the right to approve any subleases, and some also provide that the landlord share in any profits

No comments:

Post a Comment