Thursday, December 15, 2011

I won a small claims case June 2003-with no money yet received. Do I need to "renew my case by this June?

I won the maximum award amount, and still want to pursue the individual who owes me. Does the small claims "expire" in three years? What exactly do I need to do so the whole thing doesn't go away into thin air?|||Well...after reading your remarks...I think you have stated everything there is to state. Quite frankly, it doesn't look like you're going to get anything. If he has no property, real or personal, you can not force a sale. If he works, but gets paid "under the table" you can't intercept his tax refund. I would not wast the filing fee to start over, because it doesn't look like you're getting anything.|||Small claims courts do not collect debts. They are finished with the matter and it is up to you to collect the judgment.





Generally, you do that following whatever procedures that apply in your state to the collection of debt.





The court is not going to collect the debt for you.|||it depends on where you live. In California, for instance, a judgmeent is good for 10 years. Check your state for how long a judgment is valid. I suspect it will not expire in three years.





Your problem seems to be one of enforcement. There are often options for collecting a judgment. If the other person owns property, you can file a lien against it after recording the judgment in the county recorder's office. Otherwise, go to a bookstore and book up a book on debt collection. There should be plenty of information there to tell you how to perfect a judgment and execute it.|||How much of a time did the judge give the payer to pay you the money if they exceeded the time frame then I would bring that person back to court

No comments:

Post a Comment