Monday, December 12, 2011

Pet Insurance... renew it or not?

I know a lot of people think it is a waste of money, but I do have VPI Pet Insurance for one of my dogs. I am debating whether or not to renew it this March. My dog has luxating patellas, and come to find out, VPI doesn't cover that condition in any dog. I have found a pet insurance company that does, but now it is a preexisting condition.





The insurance would be wonderful if my dog has an accident, ingests something she isn't supposed to, etc., but would it be even better for me to just stick the amount the insurance costs me per year (a little over $300) into an account for her? I have to consider the fact that if my dog does have an accident or surgery or anything like that, it will likely cost a lot more than the yearly cost of the insurance, and in that case, it would be worth it.





Does anyone that actually has pet insurance think that it is worth keeping?|||LOL You know, the thing with any insurance is that we keep it, hoping to never have to use it!





I think it really comes down to your peace of mind. If having the insurance makes you feel more at ease, then keep it. If you don't feel that it will really cover what you need it for most like the luxating patella) get rid of it.|||pet insurance is totally worth it in my opinion. it covers a portion of vaccines, covers when they are sick and it sure comes in handy if there is any type of accident or unexpected illness. i'd say keep it. if you put the money into an account, its very possible you might spend it on something else.|||It's always a good idea to keep pet insurence. You never know what's going to happen to your pet and you might as well have that off your shoulders. Yes, $300 is a lot of money each year, but it's worth it. I've renewed my pet insurence every time for the last eight years.|||YES AND YOU SHOULD LOOK INTO OTHER COMPANIES BECAUSE SOME WILL COVER ANNUAL VISITS FOR SHOTS AND ROUTINE VISITS SO EVEN IF THE DOG DONT GET SERIOUSLY HURT YOU ARE STILL BENEFITING FROM THE INSURANCE EVERY TIME YOU VISIT THE DOCTOR. ANYWAYS THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT PET INSURANCE COMPANIES TODAY AND SOME CAR AND HOUSE INSURANCE COMP. WILL ALSO INSURE YOUR ANIMAL NOW.|||Because of the many limitations in most pet insurance, I personally don't use it. You would probably be better off putting the same money in a savings account and getting a little interest. My wife works for a Vet, and very few clients use pet insurance.|||I guess you'd have to weigh your own financial situation as well.





If something happens and you DO have to spend thousands of dollars on vet bills, can you? Or would you have to put your dog down for lack of money? In that case I'd say the insurance is a must.





That said, I don't have pet insurance, simply because with 10 dogs I'd be spending waaaaay more on premiums than I would for medical treatment.|||I renew mine every time needed because you never know what may happen and you may not be in the situation where you can pay total cash for it. Shop around and find another insurence that may be more affordable.|||$300 a year will not cover any major problem with your dog. Since your dog has a pre existing condition, most other insurance companies will not cover that, so stick with what you already have! I recently purchased dog insurance for my two dogs. I sleep better at night!

No comments:

Post a Comment