Thursday, December 15, 2011

Is it better to just pay a collection for an old account?

I was looking at my report and I had a delinquent account from collection company that "renewed" an account from an old cell phone company I had. Its for $900 some dollars and I had disputed this amount with the company back then and was left unresolved, this was back in 2001. Well now its renewed as a collection with a renewed date of 2007. Should I just go ahead and pay this off? or should I contact the collecting company and request that they stop reporting to the credit companies?|||The statute of limitations for suing you has probably past. I would send in a new dispute.|||i would say yes, but i didn't on the fact, they were just wrong. but it's better to pay|||Any collection company is going to report this to credit companies no matter what. They are ruthless and often make money off cases like this so they will take it to any level they want to. I would pay it off. I've been in this position before, and what the collection companies will do is take you to court for the money. If at that point you still don't pay them or show up in court, they will garnish your wages or bank account and it will be more of a mess than before.


What you can do is call the collection company and work out a payment plan with them. They will want a portion of it up-front, but after that they'll work out a monthly payment.


Paying it off will make sure that it will look better on your credit. The fact that it went to collections might still show up on your credit report, but it will show that you paid it as well which always looks better than a judgment that you failed to pay.|||check the statute of limitations in your state. if its beyond statutes send them a letter.also dispute it with all 3 cras. btw. it is illegal to reage old debt. threaten to sue them.

No comments:

Post a Comment