Thursday, December 15, 2011

How much more power does a high definition satellite receiver/tv use than a standard digital receiver/tv setup?

I am due to renew my DISHNET subscription next week and have been offered free HD tv for life ... I am concerned that HD receiver/television set will use significantly more electricity ... I have been unable to find any power usage data for my present setup or the HD ... I realize that different equipment uses different amounts of power so a ballpark percentage will answer my question ... many thanks!|||http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/|||HDTV does not necessarily use more power.





There will be no difference in the power your TV uses when fed an HDTV source instead of an SDTV source (the pixels don't care if they're changing in blocks or individually). If DishNet is making you purchase a replacement receiver box, then that shouldn't use significantly more electricity than the old one either.





In fact, if your present TV is a standard-definition CRT, and you are purchasing a new LCD HDTV to go with your HD service, then your new HDTV will use LESS power than your present TV!





Plasma TVs, however, do use a lot of energy. IMHO I would avoid them. The few advantages of plasma are rapidly being achieved by new LCD models.|||They will use significantly more power with larger screens and faster processors on the tv and receiver.





Balance out by saving energy with lights and not buying the cheapest models of LCD/Plasmas - they tend to be the juice vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment