Monday, December 12, 2011

Should I renew my termite contract? It sounds expensive!?

My home is 5 years old and the termite contract was up in May. The local company that I had the 5-year contract with wants up to $1,400 for a renewal contract, in addition to $100 a year. This seems steep, but other national brands, like Ortho, have told me from the start that their price will be more. Should I bother renewing? I live around Charlotte, and there does not appear to be any termite issues in my crawlspace. I don't plan on being in the house for much more than another 2-3 years. I don't want to be taken for a ride, either, and I'm trying to educate myself more on this matter. That's not a small amount of money!|||In that part of the country, there are two types of homes: Those that have termites and those that will have termites. It's your call, but having spend big $$$ repairing hidden termite damage myself, I'll keep my contract.





Hint: An up-to-date termite contract can be a big plus at sale time.|||TFTP

Report Abuse


|||I would not. Especially if you are leaving.|||You said yourself that you don't see any termite issues, so I wouldn't renew the contract-- especially since you'll be leaving.|||dont take a chance. renew the contract and transfer the contract to the new owner when u sell. what if when the new buyers come and get a home inspection on ur house and damage shows up? wont u feel stupid for not renewing ur contract?|||Usually not worth it. You can spray it yourself several times a year with Ortho ant and termite spray. Just buy a sprayer (pump) at Home Depot. The quote must be for a regular treatment plan.





The plans usually don't cover carpenter ants which are more common in your locale.





Having a one-time injection treatment every five years is worthwhile--not the followup plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment