Monday, December 12, 2011

How do I fill out the FAFSA without a current year tax return?

My parents haven't filed tax returns for 2006 yet, but I have to fill out the FAFSA now. Should I just put in the amounts from 2005 or guess? And will I have to renew my FAFSA with the approximate amounts after I file tax returns? Thanks|||If the school(s) you're applying to have financial aid deadlines, use 2006 paystubs to estimate what the 2006 taxes would be. After the taxes are done, log back into the FAFSA and enter the corrected numbers.





If the schools don't have financial aid deadlines and your parents don't wait until the last minute (April 15th) to do their taxes, I'd recommend waiting until you actually have the taxes done so you only have to enter the information once.





Even if your school doesn't have financial aid deadlines, it's ok to estimate tax info now and correct the info later on, when the taxes are done. :)





Every time you make changes to your FAFSA, the schools whose codes you entered on the FAFSA will get the most recent transaction.





Way to be proactive, and good luck!|||I believe you fill out the 2005 portion based on those tax returns and estimate on the 2006 portion. Once you file them for 2006, then most schools will require you to send them to the university. Good Luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment